Accounting & Financial Reporting

Handle a University-Related Event Account

Use these step-by-step instructions to establish and manage a university-related event account.
  Steps What's Involved
  1   Determine if you have a university-related event/activity.
  1. Review university-related event list
  2. Define incoming money
  3. If not a university-related account, determine account type needed
  2   Set up university-related event account(s).
  1. Identify the fund number
  2. Process Kuali Financial System (KFS) Account document(s)
 3  Manage the university-related event account.
  1. Prepare a current budget using the KFS Budget Adjustment (BA) document
  2. Understand the rules
  3. Collect fees
  4. Ensure the account is not in overdraft at the end of the event/activity
  5. Create a KFS BA document (current budget) at the end of the event to match actual expenditures
  6. Make remaining adjustments as needed

Step 1: Determine if you have a university-related event/activity.

Step 1: Determine if you have a university-related event/activity.    INTRO   1   2   3 NEXT
  What to do How to do it
A. Review university-related event list. University related event accounts don't have to literally be "events". Following are some examples that, if approved by the department chair or director, are generally considered "university-related":
  • Conferences, seminars, annual meetings sponsored primarily by faculty (if over $5,000, send proof of the sponsorship agreement to General Accounting). This includes events for which the university initially pays the expenses but receives full reimbursement later.
  • Training/classes that do not go through Continuing Education
  • Membership/participation fees for campus-created research and public service organizations
  • Faculty editorships (if over $5,000, send proof of the agreement to General Accounting)
  • Lease or license agreement payments
  • Agricultural by-products
  • Other income from non-sponsored, non-rate-based, one-time activities with a contract/agreement through Contracting Services.
If your situation is not one of the types listed above, you do not need a university related event account. Skip to Step C.
B. Define incoming money. If receiving sponsorship money, is the sponsor directly benefitting (e.g., does the sponsor have a vendor table or booth at an event, or does the sponsor's name appear on a website or in printed material pertaining to an event)?
  • If so, separate university related event accounts are needed. Skip to "Set up university-related event account."
  • If not, record the sponsorship money as a gift (see Advancement Services website for procedures)

Note: Sponsorships require a signed agreement and a purchase requisition. Documentation of the business purpose and the benefit to the university must be included.

If you will charge participant fees, see Set up university-related event account.

C. If not a university-related event account, determine account type needed. If the event/activity is:
  • sponsored by a non-university entity (e.g., a faculty/student association or professional group) or is
  • funded by the participants through ticket sales or contributions for which a faculty, student or staff will be responsible for covering any deficit and/or the balance will not be returned to the department (retirement parties, award banquets, special graduation ceremonies)
complete a Request For Agency Account; a university related event account is not needed.

If the event is not one of the above, use the How do I Create an Account guide.

Step 2: Set up university-related event account(s)

Step 2: Set up university-related event account(s)   INTRO   1   2   3  NEXT
  What to do How to do it
A. Identify the fund number Each school or college should have at least one fund number for their university related event accounts. If you're in the School of Medicine, use fund 60102. Otherwise, one way to find your fund is to use FIS Decision Support (DS) query Account Lookup (11). Do the following:
  • Make sure the correct Chart is checked
  • For the Organization Code (org), use the highest level org for your school or college (Lookup)
  • Enter UC Fund 68 followed by the wildcard (i.e, enter 68%)
  • Use Sub Fund Group OTHUNV
  • Click Process Query
In the search results, the last 5 digits in the OP Account column comprise the fund number. If the column shows more than one fund number and you can't determine the most appropriate choice, contact your dean's or vice chancellor's office. If further assistance is needed, contact General Accounting.
B. Process Kuali Financial System (KFS) Account document(s) The event/activity may be fully funded by fees and other income sources; however, your department is responsible for covering any deficits. Please discuss this with your dean's office before creating the Account document.

Prepare KFS Account (ACCT) document(s) to establish the event/activity account(s). If you are charging fees and receiving money from a sponsor, two accounts are needed to keep the money separate. If two accounts are needed, indicate that in the Account Name field.

In addition to the steps in the How do I Create an Account guide, follow these tips when setting up the account(s):

For the UC Account field, use a UC account that begins with 40 (instruction), 62 (public service), or 68 (Student Services). If your department doesn't have a UC account beginning with 40, 62, or 68, request one from General Accounting.

On the Account Assessment Types tab of the Account document, enter the correct Non-University Differential (NUD) code:

  • Sponsor receiving a direct benefit: NUD1, CAR1 and CAI1
  • Event Specific Fees: NUDZ, CARZ and CAIZ
  • General Membership Fees: NUD1, CAR1 and CAI1

    If more than one option exists then you must create two different accounts with the appropriate assessment codes.

Step 3: Manage the university-related event account

Step 3: Manage the university-related event account   INTRO   1   2   3  
  What to do How to do it
A. Prepare a KFS Budget Adjustment (BA) document. Create a Current Budget using the BA document to enter the approved budget for the event account. For procedures, see the Online Reference Manual.
B. Understand the rules. All transactions must be in accordance with the account purpose.

All expenditures associated with the event should be recorded in university-related event accounts and not in other department accounts, unless there is a gift or grant account(s) for the event.

If federal contracts or grants are charged from these accounts, the accounts must break even (i.e., total income equals total expense) including any subsidies (e.g., gifts, grants, or other departmental support) by the end of the event. Federal funds cannot be charged more than the actual expenses incurred.

C. Collect fees. When recharging other UC Davis departments for participant/registration fees, use the KFS Internal Billing (IB) document. Use object code 3900 for the recharge and 726A for the expense.

When recharging another UC campus for participant/registration fees, use the Intercampus/Interdepartmental Order form.

When charging non-UC sources for participant/registration fees, record the income by using the KFS Cash Receipt (CR) document. To review procedures for completing the CR, and information about deposits over $5,000, click here.

D. Ensure the account is not in overdraft at the end of the event/activity. If necessary, transfer expenses to an appropriate account using a KFS Distribution of Income and Expense (DI) document. Make sure the expense is allowed on the "transferred to" fund source (e.g., general funds, contract/grant funds).
E. Create a KFS BA document at the end of the event to match actual expenditures. Use a KFS Budget Adjustment (BA) to adjust the Current budget to match the actual expenditures for the event by object consolidation (INCO, SUB3, etc). Budget any excess to SUB8.
F. Make remaining adjustments as needed. If the event is recurring, leave the balance (if any) in the account.

If the event is not recurring, make sure there are no pending documents or liens. Check for balances. If there is a balance, use it toward another university related event. If there's absolutely no other event to which the balance can be applied, then General Accounting may transfer the balance to an account in Fund 69640 - Education and Research. Provide General Accounting with the university related event account number, your department's account that corresponds to Education and Research Fund 69640, and the amount to be transferred.

After the transfer is done, expire the account.

Supplemental content

Accounting & Financial Reporting Menu