Time Reporting System

What employees are eligible to use the Time Reporting System?

The Time Reporting System is currently available to Represented and Non-Represented Monthly and Bi-Weekly employees. See the list of employees eligible to use the system.

Where can I learn about the Time Reporting System?
Visit the Time Reporting System informational website
I am approved to work a 9/80 alternate work schedule. Will I be able to record my work hours in the Time Reporting System?

Yes, approved 9/80 and 4/40 alternate work schedules can be recorded in the Time Reporting System by the Department Time Administrator (DTA) for eligible non-exempt employees. Exempt employees do not enter an alternate work schedule in TRS since they cannot claim overtime hours. The alternate work schedule functionality in TRS is primarily used for the calculation of overtime hours for non-exempt employees. (Exempt employees can add a note in the Comments section identifying their alternate work schedule, but are not required to do so.)

If you are a non-exempt employee with an alternate work schedule, the information on your alternate work schedule will appear below your timesheet. If you work an alternate work schedule, and do not see it noted on your timesheet, please contact your supervisor for assistance. The supervisor can then contact the DTA and ask them to add your alternate work schedule to the Time Reporting System.

The DTA should go to the Manage Employee tab, locate the employee record, click on the Work Schedule button, and select the appropriate alternate work schedule.

Can I use the Time Reporting System to report vacation and sick time?
Yes. You can report leave time in TRS. Leave time includes sick, vacation, comp time off, Leave without Pay (LWOP), jury duty and voting time off.
Where can I get step-by-step instructions on using the Time Reporting System?
Please see the Help Resources section of the informational website. There are guides for employees, supervisors, and Department Time Administrators (DTAs).
What are the benefits to using the Time Reporting System?
The many benefits of the Time Reporting System are listed on the informational website.
I am a non-exempt employee eligible for overtime compensation. How do I enter overtime on my timesheet in the Time Reporting System?
Non-exempt employees are required to enter ALL time WORKED and ALL LEAVE time in the Time Reporting System. This is in accordance with the Fair Standards Labor Act (FLSA). The Time Reporting System will automatically calculate any overtime based on the work hours entered.
Who do I contact if I have a question regarding the Time Reporting System?

Hours are listed on the informational website.

What do I need to do in the Time Reporting System if I am ending one job assignment at UC Davis and starting a new job assignment at UC Davis?

Make sure you complete a timesheet for your current job assignment BEFORE it ends.

Once your job assignment ends, it will no longer appear in the Time Reporting System. Once you begin your new job assignment, the new job assignment will appear in the Time Reporting System, but the previous one will no longer appear.

I am an employee with multiple job assignments in the payroll system. How do I record my time in the Time Reporting System?

If you have multiple job assignments, you will be required to complete a timesheet for each one. We recommend that you contact each of your supervisors and determine how your work and leave time should be entered for each assignment. Each supervisor will be required to approve the timesheet that is related to their assignment.

I am an employee with multiple job assignments with the same description (same title code). Is there a way that these assigments can be differentiated in the Time Reporting System?
A DTA can add a job nickname to the appointment title code. This is helpful if an employee has multiple assignments with the same title code. Adding a job nickname may assist the employee and the supervisor in easily identifying and reporting time to the proper job assignment.

The DTA can add a job assignment nickname by going to the Manage Employee tab and finding the employee under the Search Employee Profile. Under Assignments, select the Update Time Identifier icon. A pop-up window will appear. To add a job nickname, enter a job identifier name in the Timesheet Identifier field. Save the update.
I am a Department Time Administrator (DTA) who is trying to submit a timesheet with more than 5 Description of Service (DOS) codes. I keep getting a PPS error message. What should I do?

The Time Reporting System only allows submission of timesheets with up to 5 DOS codes. If you are trying to submit a timesheet citing more than 5 DOS codes you will need to submit the timesheet data manually in the Online Payroll Time Reporting System (OPTRS) using the EDLR screen.

How can I use the Repeat Work Hours functionality in the Time Reporting System?
You may be a non-exempt employee (eligible to claim overtime) who works the same shift everyday and would like to copy these hours across a selected date range. Repeat Hours is a copy function that allows you to record repeated time for a selected date range. For example, you may need to report two consecutive weeks (80 hours) of work for the pay period. To use the Repeated Hours function, make sure you have the timesheet opened: Click Add on the first date in the date range you want to repeat.
  1. Select Repeated Hours from the drop down list.
  2. A pop up screen will appear:
    1. Click on Add and select from the drop down list the type of hours to be reported (work hours, vacation, sick, etc.).
    2. Click inside of the From Date box to generate a calendar for the pay period. Select the first date in the date range.
    3. Click inside of the To Date box to generate a calendar for the pay period. Select the end date in the date range.
    4. Skip the Hour field.
    5. A pop up screen will appear requesting the following information:
    6. Time In: Time you arrived at work
    7. Lunch Out: Time you initiated a lunch break, if taken
    8. Lunch In: Time you returned to work from lunch break, if taken
    9. Time Out: Time the shift ended
  3. Click Add to Time Sheet.
  4. Save the timesheet.

TRS will populate the total hours per day for the selected date range to the timesheet.

When submitting my timesheet in the Time Reporting System, I am getting an error that a primary supervisor is not assigned. What should I do?

You cannot submit a timesheet if a primary supervisor is not assigned. You should contact your supervisor and they will need to work with the Department Time Administrator to ensure that a primary supervisor is assigned.

The primary and/or backup supervisor information in the Time Reporting System is incorrect. What do I do?
If you are an employee, please contact your supervisor for assistance. If you are a supervisor, please contact your Department Time Administrator (DTA) and let them know what the correct supervisor information should be.

If you are a DTA, do the following:
  • Go to the Manage Employee tab
  • Locate the employee.
  • On the General Information screen, click on the Assignments button on the left side of the screen to view and modify/add supervisor information for the employee.
I am a monthly-paid employee. Do I have to enter my work time?
Monthly-paid employees do not enter their work time. These employees only enter their leave time (vacation, sick, etc.).
I am an employee that would like to submit a timesheet early in the Time Reporting System, as I will be out of the office during the time it is normally submitted. Is this ok?
Yes. If you need to submit a timesheet early, you can do so in the Time Reporting System. Make sure you account for all days in the reporting period. In other words, if you are going to be out of the office on the 30th and 31st and you are submitting the timesheet on the 29th, make sure you enter the leave time for the 30th and 31st on your timesheet.
For overtime calculation in the Time Reporting System, how is the work week defined? What happens if the work week occurs in two different pay periods?

The standard work week is Sunday through Saturday for non-represented staff.

For a monthly-paid employee you may have a situation where the work week may be split into two separate pay periods. For example, work time for Sunday 2/26 - Wednesday 2/29 would be entered for the Feb. pay period. The work time for Thursday 3/1 - Saturday 3/3 would be entered for the March pay period. In this case, TRS will check the previous timesheet (February) to calculate time and any applicable overtime (March). This will generate Overtime Straight (OTS) or Overtime Premium (OTP) transactions which will be sent to PPS via TRS.

What type of training is available for the Time Reporting System
When a new employee is hired, will they be automatically added to the Time Reporting System (TRS)?

The new employee's appointment will automatically load into TRS, using information from the Payroll & Personnel System (PPS) and from the university identity management system.

Please be patient with this process. It will take approximately 3 business days for the process to complete after the new employee record has been created in PPS.

In order for the new employee to use TRS, the Department Time Administrator (DTA) will first need to assign a Primary and Backup Supervisor to the new employee's record using the Manage Employee tab in TRS.

When ending an employee's appointment in the Payroll and Personnel System (PPS), how does it affect the information in the Time Reporting System?

In general, appointments should NOT be deleted in PPS. In other words, an end date should be entered for the ending appointment. If an appointment is deleted, an employee will NOT be able to enter time for that appointment in the Time Reporting System.

An appointment can be deleted in PPS if it was entered in error, and no payments have been made against that appointment. In some limited circumstances, a previous appointment may be in conflict with the new appointment labor relations code and must be deleted to add the new appointment in PPS.

How should student employees with work study be entered in the Time Reporting System?

Work study student employees should be entered with two (2) assignments/appointments in the Payroll and Personnel System (PPS):

  • Appointment for work hours for the work study
  • Appointment for any leave time reported (sick, vacation, etc.)

To assist the student employee in knowing which appointment is for the work study and which one is for the leave reporting, a timesheet identifier (nickname) can be added to each appointment. The Department Time Administrator can do this for you.
What is the difference between an exempt and a non-exempt employee?

An exempt employee is an employee who cannot claim overtime work hours. A non-exempt employee is an employee who can claim overtime hours.

In the Time Reporting System, exempt employees do not enter their work hours. They only enter their non-work hours (vacation, sick leave, etc.)

Non-exempt employees enter ALL work and non-work hours. The Time Reporting System will automatically calculate overtime based on the number of work hours entered by the non-exempt employee.

I have an Alternate Work Schedule set up in the Time Reporting System. Does this impact the Repeated Work Hours functionality?

If you have an alternate work schedule, you may not work on certain days. For example, you may have an alternate work schedule where you do not work on Fridays. However, if using the Repeated Work Hours functionality, the calendar will pre-populate hours in all days Monday through Friday. Before submitting your timesheet, be sure that you manually delete any hours for the days that you did not work.

How does time reporting differ for Exempt (NOT eligible for overtime) versus Non-Exempt employees?

Exempt employees will only record leave (non-work) usage and can only take leave in full-day (8 hour) increments. Non-exempt employees are required to account for all hours scheduled to work, including leave usage.

Non-exempt staff record time in increments of a quarter hour.

How does an employee report time off that is part of the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)?

In the Time Reporting System, there isn't a specific category for FMLA leave. FMLA leave can include Sick Leave, Vacation Leave, or Leave Without Pay (LWOP). You should select the appropriate option on your timesheet.

In the Timesheet Comments section you should add a note indicating the dates on which FMLA was taken. For example, if the vacation you took on 9/22 was for FMLA purposes, you should add a comment indicating "9/22: Vacation time: FMLA."

Are there any special instructions for employees claiming overtime?
If you are claiming overtime, please add a comment indicating the days on which you are claiming overtime hours worked. This can be helpful for your supervisor. For example, "October 10: Claiming 2 hours overtime."
Are e-mail notifications sent from the Time Reporting System?

Yes! E-mail reminders are sent to employees who have not submitted their timesheets near the submission deadline. If an employee has already submitted a timesheet, an e-mail reminder is not sent.

E-mail reminders are also sent to supervisors near the approval deadline. If a supervisor has already approved all timesheets, an e-mail reminder is not sent.

Also, see the Email Notifications info page.

Where can I locate the current leave accrual rates for employees?

Employee Leave Accrual Rates (rates at which an employee earns vacation and sick leave) are available on the Leave Accrual Codes website.

As an employee, why is it important that I keep track of my vacation hours accrual?

The University of California provides vacation leave as a benefit to staff for rest and renewal throughout the year.

If you do not regularly use your vacation leave, there is a possibility that you will reach maximum accrual and will not be able to accrue additional hours until you have used some of your vacation leave.

Your timesheet includes your vacation balance. If you are nearing your maximum accrual, you should contact your supervisor and work with them to develop a vacation plan for using some of those vacation hours.

Please refer to the July 2012 Our University Newsletter for more information on the importance of regularly using those accrued vacation hours.

I heard that monthly employee reporting in TRS is done in arrears. What does this mean, and how does it relate to the vacation and sick leave balances I see in TRS and on my earnings statement?

Arrears is reporting for the period "behind" you.

In TRS, monthly-paid employees report time worked for the previous month. Here's an example: In early August, monthly-paid employees report their time for July, including their vacation and sick leave usage in July. Their September earnings statement will reflect their July vacation and sick leave usage. In other words, the reporting is done in arrears, and the balances that appear in TRS and on the earnings statement are also in arrears.

It is important for monthly employees to remember that the balances on their timesheet and earnings statement are in arrears. Monthly employees approaching their vacation maximum balance should work with their supervisor to develop a plan to use their vacation hours before they reach maximum accrual.

Biweekly employees report their actual work and leave time for the current pay period (not in arrears). Biweekly employee vacation and sick leave accruals calculate every four (4) weeks or quadriweekly cycle.

Is there anything I have to do when a holiday occurs in a time period?

You should leave the holiday blank (no time entered) unless you worked on the holiday. If you worked on the holiday, you should enter the number of work hours on your timesheet. If you are eligible for holiday pay, you will receive it automatically on your earnings statement.

If you are eligible for overtime or other pay for working a holiday, the Time Reporting System will automatically calculate it.

What is considered an 'alternate' work schedule?

In the Time Reporting System, an 'alternate' work schedule is either a 4 days a week, 10 hours a day work schedule (also known as a 4/40 schedule), or a 9 days of work, 1 day off every two weeks schedule (also known as a 9/80 schedule).

If you work one of these alternate work schedules, your alternate work schedule will display below each monthly timesheet. If you work one of these alternate work schedules and it does not display on your timesheet, please contact your supervisor for assistance.

If my appointment changes (ending one position and starting a new one), what happens in the Time Reporting System?

BEFORE your previous appointment ends, you should complete and submit your timesheet, your supervisor should approve, and the Departmental Time Administrator should submit the timesheet to the Payroll & Personnel System (PPS). Once your previous appointment ends, you won't be able to enter or modify the timesheet for that previous appointment.

Your departmental payroll processor will enter an end date for the previous appointment in PPS and enter a new appointment. A new timesheet will be automatically created for the new appointment in the Time Reporting System (TRS). Keep in mind that it will take 7 BUSINESS days before you can access the new timesheet from the day the new appointment is created in PPS.

I am a supervisor and inadvertently approved an employee's timesheet. How can I get the timesheet returned to me?

You should contact your Department Time Administrator (DTA) for assistance. They will be able to return the timesheet if it has not already been submitted to PPS.

Once the timesheet has been returned to you, you should return it to the employee if changes need to be made. If the employee is unavailable to make the needed changes to their timesheet, you may make the changes on their timesheet. The employee will receive an email indicating what changes were made to their timesheet.

What happens in TRS when an employee separates from the university?

TRS retrieves active employee data from the Payroll & Personnel System (PPS). If an employee record is inactivated in PPS, they will no longer be be able to access and enter timesheets in TRS.

Historical data (past timesheet information) on the separated employee will continue to be available in TRS.

I need to enter a leave time that is not available as a drop-down menu item in TRS. How do I do this?

You should always check with your supervisor first for guidance.

You can also refer to the leave time policies and procedures that are posted on the UC Davis Human Resources website.

In some cases, you may need to report the leave time using the sick or vacation option, but the resources on the HR website will help you in making the correct determination.

How does TRS know which type of overtime to apply for an employee?

The UC Davis Time Reporting System (TRS) automatically applies the appropriate overtime (straight or premium) based on the work hours enterd by the employee, the employee type and employee classification, per the applicable HR and union agreements. If you have questions on how overtime is calculated, we recommend that you refer to the appropriate employee contract, available on the UC Davis Human Resources website. When reviewing a specific contract, be aware that some of the information within the contract may not apply to ALL employees in that classification. For example, the contract for SX employees includes information on overtime calculation for healthcare and non-healthcare employees. Make sure that you are referring to the correct section of the policy for the employees that you supervise.

If an employee transitions from one department to another in the middle of an active pay period, which department is responsible for the holiday/sick leave/vacation pay reported in that pay period?

The responsible department is the one for which the employee was officially working when the sick leave/vacation was reported or when the holiday occurred. For example, if Sam has an end date of 4/12 in Dept A and begins work in Dept B on 4/13, any sick leave/vacation or holiday on or after 4/13 is the responsibility of Dept B. The department may need to make adjustments in OPTRS to ensure that the leave and holiday times are reported correctly.

As a DTA, I see an EDLR option on the screen that allows me to submit employee timesheets to PPS. What is this option for and how does it work?

On the Review/Submit Payroll tab in the Time Reporting System (TRS), for both Bi-Weekly and Monthly Employees, there is a Supervisor Approved section which displays all timesheets ready to be reviewed and submitted to PPS. One of the options that appears for each timesheet is EDLR. EDLR is to be used for Late Time Payment/Pay Reduction (EDLR) adjustment entries made manually (hand entered) in OPTRS and not for transactions that are being submitted directly to PPS from TRS. Keep in mind that clicking the EDLR (Yes-No-Final Pay) option does NOT actually do anything, either in TRS, PPS or in OPTRS, but it does allow you to enter the date that you manually completed the EDLR entry in OPTRS. When selecting the EDLR option, you should also add a comment indicating why the adjustment was made in OPTRS.

As a Department Time Administrator, I see a Work Schedule option available for each employee. How does this option work and what are the situations in which it should be used?

On the Manage Employee tab, the data entered in the Work Schedule section is used to identify the total number of hours an employee works each day but it does NOT identify a shift (the start and end time) the employee is scheduled. The information on the Work Schedule is used for overtime calculation purposes for biweekly-paid employees. The biweekly employee is required to enter their actual work hours for each work day on their timesheet.

For example, a DTA may enter a 4/40 Work Schedule for an employee who works 10 hours 4 days a week; the Work Schedule only indicates the number of hours that the employee works on the selected days of the week; for example, the 4/40 Work Schedule may indicate that an employee works 10 hours on Monday, 10 hours on Tuesday, 10 hours on Wednesday, and 10 hours on Thursday. It does not indicate the start or end time for the hours worked; in other words, it does not identify the actual work shift and does not know if the hours are eligible for shift differential .

When the employee completes their timesheet, they enter the actual start and end times they worked for each shift; for example, start time at 8am, lunch out at 12pm, return to work at 1pm, and end time at 6pm. If the employee works in excess of 10 hours on the assigned days (or on days not normally worked), TRS would calculate overtime as applicable per the specific labor agreement. TRS also calculates the shift differential based on the actual start and end times entered by the employee on the timesheet, but NOT based on the hours entered on the Work Schedule by the DTA.

At this time, night and weekend differential calculation functionality is not available in TRS and must be manually calculated. Additionally, other work rules for shift differential are also not available including temporary assignments and shift paid over leave. We will keep you posted on when this functionality is available in TRS.

I am a Department Time Administrator and I want to set up an employee with a 9/80 schedule, but the employee works the 36 hour week PRIOR to the 44 hour week. How can I enter this in the Time Reporting System?

The 44 hour week does not have to be the first week of the pay period. If the user wants the 36 hour week to be the first week of the Biweekly pay period then the 9/80 work schedule needs to begin a week before the pay period. For example:

In the 7/7/13 - 7/20/13 pay period, employee Telly Time works the 36 hour week the first week and the 44 hour week in the second week. The TRS 9/80 schedule would start on 6/30/2013 to ensure the 36 hour week falls into the first week of the pay period.

For the 9/80 to work properly for a pay period, the 9/80 should not start in the middle of a pay period. 9/80 working hours should begin on the first week of the pay period. DTAs should make sure the 9/80 is set up at least a week prior AND make sure there are no timesheets created during the work schedule effective date for an employee.

How Do I Access Data from a Previous Timesheet in the L&S Online Timesheet System?
The timesheet information previously entered in the L&S Online Timesheet System is still available, although it is no longer available from the Online Timesheet System. If you need access to data from a previously-created timesheet in the Online Timesheet System, please contact the TRS Help Desk at trshelp@ucdavis.edu. In general, requests for data are restricted to the requestor's timesheet data and/or the supervisor of that employee. Each request must include the following information: Business reason for the request (e.g., Contracts and Grants closeout request, outside agency request, etc.)
  • Relationship of the person making the request (self, supervisor, department payroll processor)
  • Employee name and ID Number
  • Timesheet dates or time frame of timesheets requested (begin and end dates)
The TRS Help Desk will confirm the legitimacy of the request before releasing the information. Requests may be denied if a valid business reason is not provided. The turnaround time for requests is generally 5 to 7 business days, but can be vary based on the complexity of the request and data needed.
As an employee, can I delete a timesheet created in error?
It is not possible to delete a timesheet in TRS. If a timesheet was submitted in error and should not have been, it should be returned to the employee.
  1. Employee should then resubmit the timesheet with 0 (zero) hours entered and add a comment that the timesheet is being resubmitted to clear a timesheet submitted in error.
  2. Supervisor should then approve the timesheet and add a comment indicating that they are approving a timesheet submitted in error in order to clear the timesheet.
  3. The DTA should then select the option EDLR-NO, adding a comment that they are not processing an EDLR but trying to clear the timesheet from TRS with no pay. This will clear the timesheets but not add any time to the current rosters. This will also create an audit trail with the timesheet.
As a supervisor, can I create timesheet on behalf of an employee?
Yes, a Supervisor is able to Create/Submit a timesheet on behalf of an employee. A supervisor should not regularly create a timesheet on behalf of an employee, but this option may be useful if an employee is unable to create and/or submit their own timesheet due to a medical/other situation that does not allow the employee to create/submit their own timesheet. This option is available for Primary and Backup/Optional Backup supervisors. Under the Manage the Staff tab, there is a new Manage Timesheets sub-tab. Under this new tab, there are two options, "Search Timesheets" and "Create Timesheet."
Click "Create Timesheet"
  1. Enter either the Employee ID number or Employee Name, and Payroll Period Start Date; if more than one result appears, click on the icon for the employee for whom you wish to create a timesheet
  2. Once the timesheet has been created, click on the timesheet icon to open timesheet and then click on Edit Timesheet for Employee button
  3. Once changes have been made, click on the Save Changes for Employee button and then Approve Timesheet, add comments indicating why the timesheet was created on behalf of the employee, and confirm edit
  4. Comments will now appear on timesheet. Employee will receive an email notice advising that a timesheet has been created on their behalf with a link to the timesheet and an acknowledgement button.
NOTE: The Supervisor can create the timesheet even if there is an existing timesheet in the employee's queue (SAVED, RETURNED BY SUPERVISOR, RECALLED BY EMPLOYEE). The existing timesheet will not be erased or replaced.

NOTE: Supervisor cannot create a timesheet for an employee if the employee has already completed a timesheet for the pay period with one of the following statuses: SUBMITTED_TO_SUPERVISOR SUBMITTED_TO_DTA SUBMITTED_TO_PPS SUBMITTED_TO_PPS(EDAT) COMPLETED
As a DTA, how do I gain access to my employee if the funding is in a department other than the home department?

The Home department must contact the TRS Help Desk with the following information (see below) in order to be granted alternate DTA access:

  • Current department code
  • Appointment number
  • Alternate department code
As a Supervisor, where can I get a report that will list the employees I supervise?

You should contact your Department Time Administrator (DTA) and request a copy of the Supervisor Assignment report.


Supplemental content

Time Reporting System Menu

TRS Help

 Phone: 530-752-7750

 Fax: 530-754-7385

 E: trshelp@ucdavis.edu