Kuali Financial System

DV Payment Reason Codes Help

Sensitive Information on the DV: Do NOT include sensitive information on the KFS DV document or on any of the electronic attachments. Examples include Social Security numbers (SSN), personal health care information (PHI), and personal banking information (excluding the Wire Transfer tab, which is approved for banking information).

The Disbursement Voucher (DV) document requires selecting an appropriate Payment Reason Code. The table below gives instruction on the appropriate use for each Payment Reason Code and what forms or supporting backup are required to be electronically attached to the DV document. You can scroll down or click on the Payment Reason Code below to jump to the appropriate section.

Payment Reason Code and Name Description Required Documentation Restrictions


Agency Fund

The Agency Fund (AFD) payment reason code is used to request payment from an Agency Fund account. Please review policy PPM 330-09 for additional information about using Agency Funds.

Note: Make sure to use the correct service object codes to ensure that appropriate vendors will receive tax form 1099.

Agency Fund Payment Form and/or other appropriate supporting backup

Accounts with Agency sub-fund;

Object Codes with Object Sub-Types of EX, PR, SR, UT, or NC

Vendor only


AP Reissue Payment

Central office use only. AP Reissue Payments are typically used for reissuing a stale dated check or other central office payments. Appropriate supporting backup N/A


Research Cash Advance

The Research Cash Advance (CAD) payment reason code is used to issue advances to Principal Investigators for cash payments to human subjects or other specific situations pre-approved by Accounts Payable and/or Internal Control. All cash advances are receivable from the person receiving the funds. Documentation to reconcile the expenditures against the amount received must be submitted to Accounts Payable on a timely basis or the individual will be personally responsible for repaying the advance. Cash advances that are unreconciled for more than 120 days can be treated as income for tax purposes.

Steps to process:

  1. Request approval of an advance from Internal Controls, including the estimated amount, purpose of advance, and which account/fund should be used
  2. After verifying the funding, Internal Controls will reply with an approval email, including instructions on how to reconcile expenses
  3. Initiate a DV-CAD document, attaching the approval letter from Internal Controls and charging account 3-1121560, Object code 0299, and the Project code supplied in your approval letter
Research Cash Advance Payment Form and/or appropriate supporting backup Object 0299


Casual Farm Labor

The Casual Farm Labor (CFL) payment reason code is used for making direct payments to casual farm laborers, typically hourly and/or non-contractual workers. Additional requirements:

  • This payment reason code cannot be used for independent contractors

  • Disbursements of $600 or more per calendar year to the same individual will be considered taxable income and reportable on a 1099

  • Individuals must be setup as a vendor and complete a I-9 or W-9 form before payment can be processed. When creating the vendor, be sure to attach any I-9 or W-9 using the "W-9 attachment" type, to ensure security of PII data

Casual Farm Labor Payment Form and/or appropriate supporting backup

Object 7255

Vendor only


Collections Payment

Student Accounting use only. The Collections Payment (COL) payment reason code is used to process payment to collection agencies for student loan payments. Appropriate supporting backup Vendor only


Communication and Data Services

The Communications and Data Services (COM) payment reason code is used to pay vendors for invoices related to land-line telephone, cellular, internet, or cable television services, when the bill is in the name of the University or a department. The invoice from the service provider should be included as a Supporting Backup attachment.

Restrictions: This reason code should not be used for payments to regulated utilities, such as electricity, gas, or water service providers. It should not be used for equipment - only recurring services are allowed. It should not be used for making payments directly to an employee or to someone other than the service provider.

NOTE: Communications Resources is the preferred source for cell phone purchases and service.

A Procurement Card can also be used to pay for cell phone service.

Vendor Invoice

Objects 4100, 4150, 7105

Vendor only



Death Benefit

Central Payroll use only. The Death Benefit (DEA) payment reason code is used to process payments in the event of an employee death. Appropriate supporting backup Objects 7400, 0500


Employee Reimbursement

The Employee Reimbursement (EER) payment reason code is used when requesting non-travel or non-entertainment reimbursement to an employee of the University, for expenses that do not fit another more appropriate reason code: PCL, FEE, REG, MEM. If an employee reimbursement exceeds $500, additional approvals from Department Head and Dean or Vice Chancellor are required and should be electronically attached to the DV document. Any reimbursements over $500 will automatically route to Central Purchasing for approval, prior to Accounts Payable routing. All reimbursement requests must include proof of the cash or cash-equivalent payment made by the employee. Payments made by gift cards, coupons, or other non-cash or non-cash equivalent will not qualify for reimbursement. Employee Reimbursement Payment Form and appropriate supporting backup Employee only


Entertainment Expense Voucher

The Entertainment Expense Voucher (EEV) payment reason code is used to pay a vendor for an entertainment-related expense that does not accept payment by credit card. Visit the EEV Information page for processing instructions. Whenever possible, vendors that accept credit cards should be paid with a UC Davis Travel card rather than the EEV/TEV. The expense can then be processed with supporting documentation in AggieTravel. The following policies should be reviewed for compliance: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/3420364/BFB-BUS-79



Request for Payment - Entertainment Expense Form and appropriate supporting backup

Object codes with the EN sub-type

Vendor only



Copyright, Regulatory, Bank/License Fees

The Copyright, Regulatory, and Licensing (FEE) payment reason code is used when requesting a payment for an appropriate fee or license expense. These expenses are not to be confused with Memberships or Professional Licenses. Examples include:
  • Copyright fees, including Use and Scan fees for art/photos

  • Building or use permit fees

  • Disposal fees

  • One-time licensing fees paid to regulatory agencies

  • Regulatory fees to foreign countries to allow researchers

  • Pseudo-government accreditation fees, on behalf of departments or programs (individuals should be PCL)

  • Royalty payments, if not covered by a PO

  • Miscellaneous tax agency payments, such as property tax

Fee Payment Form and/or other appropriate supporting backup Objects 7790, 7215, 7700, 0500, 7950, 7240


Fellowship Stipend

The Fellowship Stipend (FEL) payment reason code is used for payments to support an individual's pursuit of his/her studies or related research and can include stipends for living expenses while participating in a scholarly/research activity. This category also includes payments for participation under the specific terms of a sponsored agreement, awards, or prizes to individuals in recognition of charitable, scientific, educational, artistic, literary or civic achievement, or as the result of the participant entering or being entered in a contest or being selected for the prize based on his/her actions. Additional conditions:
  • Payments for currently enrolled UC students must go through Financial Aid and be paid through Banner. They cannot be paid on a Disbursement Voucher.

  • Non-UCD students and former UCD student are eligible for Fellowship Stipends

  • Fellowship Stipends are considered reportable income to recipient

Fellowship Stipend Payment Form and appropriate supporting backup Object 7905



The Freight (FRT) payment reason code is used to pay outbound freight charges for sending goods from the University. These are typically paid to Federal Express, DHL, or UPS. These are not for inbound freight charges incurred when purchasing goods.

Vendor Invoice

Invoice # field on the DV must be populated

Object 3000

Vendor only



Gifts and Donations

The Gifts and Donations (GFT) payment reason code is used for cash gifts or donations paid to non-profits in accordance with PPM 260-45 and non-cash gifts purchased on behalf of employees in accordance with PPM 380-50.

For Donation requests, there are a few additional steps necessary:

  1. Add a concise explanation of how the donation ties in with the UC Mission.  
  2. Attach a signed transmittal letter (sample) as a Remittance Attachment. This letter must be on UC Davis letterhead and signed by a department head or chair. It will be sent to the payee, so it should explain why we are making the donation to them. An invoice from the payee is not sufficient.
Gift Payment Form and/or appropriate supporting backup

Objects 7710, 8072

Vendor only


Honoraria (non-employee)

The Honoraria (HON) payment reason code is used for nominal, non-negotiated payments to individuals for participation in a scholarly or academic event benefiting the mission of the University and in accordance with PPM 380-76. Allowable activities include, but are not limited to:
  • Special lecture of short series of lectures

  • Conducting seminar or workshop of no more than 2 weeks

  • Musical demonstration related to Music Department instruction

  • Guest speaker

  • Appraisal of manuscript for the University Press

  • Non-professional medical actors

UC employees are not allowed to receive Honoraria using this type of payment document. UC employee honoraria must be processed through Payroll (UPAY 564). Also, any negotiated payments should be processed on a service agreement through Contracting Services.

In accordance with UCOP Accounting Manual Policy D-371-35, an account with a sub-fund group type of G (State General Funds) is not allowed.

Honoraria Payment Form and/or appropriate supporting backup

Accounts with sub-fund group type G is not allowed

Object 7900

Vendor only



Research Participant

The Human Subject (HUM) payment reason code is used to make payments to individuals who participate in research activities. If a recipient receives more than $600 in a calendar year, all earnings are tax reportable on a 1099. NO SENSITIVE INFORMATION should be included in the document or the attachments, including SSN or health care information. Initiator should add the active Institutional Review Board (IRB) number in the Document Description field. No other information should be included in this field. Document Explanation is not required. If entered, do not include Personal Identifying Information (PII), Heath Care information, or the name of the study. If necessary to add a vendor, use the DV vendor type not the PO vendor type. Tax ID information is required to ensure proper tax reporting.

Note: For cash advances to make payments to research participants, please utilize the Research Cash Advance (CAD) payment reason code

No attachments required; if added, do not include Personal Identifying Information (PII), Heath Care information, or the name of the study Objects 7202, 720A


Immigration Visa Fee Processing

The Immigration Visa Fee (IMM) type is used to make payments for visa fees. Please see the Services for International Students and Scholars website for additional information. The recommended procedure is to pay the vendor directly. 

If an employee has legal fees related to approved immigration or citizenship status, this payment reason code should be used for the reimbursement.  Proof of payment, complete business explanation, and approval from the department head or dean is required for a reimbursement.  Additionally, there are potential income tax implications based on the nature of the reimbursement.

Vendor Invoice

Object 7233


Insurance Payments

The Insurance (INS) payment reason code is used to pay health and life insurance premiums not covered by the University's self-insurance program and deductibles or other reimbursements according to current insurance policies. Vendor Invoice

Object 7950

Vendor only



Professional Memberships and Dues

The Membership (MEM) payment reason code is used to pay for professional membership dues and fees. All payments must be made in accordance with policy PPM 330-75. Additional requirements for this type of payment:
  • Brief explanation for the reason payment of fees is deemed necessary or beneficial to the University or member

  • Memberships must be signed by the Dean, Chair, or Vice Chancellor

Membership Payment Form and appropriate signed approval Object 7299


Professional Certifications and Licenses

The Professional Certifications and Licenses (PCL) payment reason code is used for various licensing, certification, and professional education assistance fees that are paid on behalf of an individual for a valid business reason. Examples include:
  • Certification testing fees (CPA exam fees, medical board costs, etc.)

  • Individual licensing fees (drivers license, medical facility access licenses, water treatment operator license, etc.)

  • Fingerprint tests

  • Self-assessment examination fees for online testing

Professional Certification Payment Form and/or appropriate vendor invoice or supporting backup Object 7299


Petty Cash

The Petty Cash (PET) payment reason code is used for replenishment of petty cash accounts in accordance with PPM 330-45.

Note: Employees must be setup as a vendor to act as a Petty Cash Trustee. When setting up the employee vendor record, use their employee ID in lieu of their social security number. No W9 is required.

Appropriate receipt backup Vendor only



The Refund (REF) payment reason code is used to issue a refund, such as a key deposit refund or Vet Med refund for prepaid services that were not necessary. Refunds are not reimbursements. A refund assumes that we have collected monies and are now paying them back. For refunds to non-vendors, either add the recipient to the vendor table first, or use Vendor ID 1000001 and enter the payee address and name. Please note, if you select Vendor ID 1000001, be sure to replace all payee fields with the correct information, including Remit to Payee Name. This option should only be used if refunding someone who is not already in the Vendor table or if you are refunding an employee. Proof of original payment to the UC

Object codes with AR, PY, or IN sub-types

Vendor only




The Registration (REG) payment reason code is used for registration fees to training events, conferences, or online classes, to vendors who do not accept payment by credit card. The Travel & Entertainment Visa Card should be used to pay conference/registration fees whenever possible.  When attendance involves travel, the traveler may also pay out-of-pocket and obtain reimbursement in AggieTravel, after the event, per policy G-28. 

Appropriate supporting backup Object 7260


Registered Student Organization

The Registered Student Organization (RSO) payment reason code is used to issue payments from a department to a student organization. The student organization must be registered with the Center for Student Involvement. To utilize this payment reason code, the payee should be set up ahead of time as an RSO vendor. Proof of the registered status should be attached to the vendor document. For individual payments, the initiator should certify in the Notes section that the payee is a registered student organization. Appropriate supporting backup and certification in Notes of registered status Must use RSO vendor


Subcontractor Advance Payment

The Subcontractor Advance Payment (SCA) payment reason code is used to pay sub-recipients of awards in advance of the work being performed. An Advance account must be established and approved prior to initiating this payment type. This payment type will also route to Extramural Fund Accounting for approval prior to disbursement. Appropriate supporting backup, including Agreement #

Object 0299

Vendor only



Student Fellowship Expense Reimbursement

The Student Fellowship Expense Reimbursement (SFD) payment reason code is used for disbursements to students to reimburse out-of-pocket expenses related to authorized fellowship or grant expenses. Limited to active UC Davis students only. Receipts showing proof of payment and grant or fellowship documentation showing authorization of expenses are required. If student is an employee, use their employee ID. Otherwise, use vendor ID 1000058 and enter the correct payee information. Reimbursements to students for purchases made on behalf of the University should be processed on the Student Reimbursement payment reason code. Proof of purchase and payment and documentation justifying that expenses are allowed by grant/fellowship

Object codes with the EX subtype

Employee or Student



Student Reimbursement

The Student Reimbursement (SRM) payment reason code is used for non-travel and non-entertainment reimbursements of goods purchased by an active student on behalf of the university, for under $500. Any student reimbursements of $500 or greater must be processed on a Requisition document, after first creating the student as a vendor. Similar to Employee Reimbursement, the Student Reimbursement may only be used if there is not another more appropriate reason code available. For example, if Memberships or PCL is more appropriate, those must be used instead. If another code is more appropriate, the student may need to be set up as a vendor first.

Note: If the student is not an active employee of the University, enter Vendor ID 1000058. This will allow free-form entry of the payee's name and address. Be sure to complete all the payee fields, including Remit to Payee Name.

Student Reimbursement Payment Form and proof of purchase

Object codes with the SUPP object level

Vendor only



State Tax Remittance

Central office use only.*

The State Tax Remittance (STR) payment reason code is used by Central Tax Accounting for payments to the CA Franchise Tax Board for state tax withholding.*This Payment Reason Code can also be used by departments to process Accounts Payable approved Sales tax remittances to vendors for which a Payment Request document incorrectly accrued Use Tax. Payments to vendors for Sales tax without a corresponding Use Tax Accrual Correction Form are not allowed on this document.



System Feed Payment

System generated only. The System Feed Payment (SYS) payment reason code is used on automatically created payments from the Disbursement Voucher nightly feed processes. N/A N/A


Travel Expense Voucher
The Travel Expense Voucher (TEV) payment reason code is generally used when a vendor bills the university directly for travel-related expenses. In this case, the TEV payment reason code is used to process a payment directly to the vendor, not to an employee or non-employee traveler. Travel expense reimbursements must be in accordance with BFB G28 and BFB G13 and other applicable policies listed on the UC Davis T&E website. Visit the TEV Information page for processing instructions. Complete the appropriate Travel Expense Form or Moving and Relocation Form located on the T&E Forms website. Appropriate supporting backup, including receipts, attendee lists, etc.

Object codes with the TR and RM sub-types

Vendor only


Uniform Allowance

The Uniform Allowance (UNA) payment reason code is used to pay an employee in the Fire or Police departments for required uniforms. This is considered taxable income to the employee. This reason code may also be used for Tool Allowances provided to employees within Facilities. These payments are taxable and will be reported on the employee's W2.

Note: Uniform allowances or reimbursements to employees in other departments (not Fire or Police) under an "accountable plan" should be paid using the EER - Employee Reimbursement payment reason code and Object Code 8000, unless another more appropriate reason code applies.

Appropriate supporting backup

Object 7450

Employee only


Regulated Utility Services

The Regulated Utility Services (UTL) payment reason code is used to pay vendors for regulated utility invoices. The most common examples include recurring electricity, gas, water/sewer, and garbage service fees. The invoice from the utility provider should be included as a Supporting Backup attachment.

Restrictions: This reason code should not be used for payments to telephone, cellular, or internet providers. It should not be used for solar energy purchases. It should not be used for rentals or one-time purchases of disposal services, such as dumpsters.

Vendor Invoice

Objects 5200, 5220, 5230, 7311

Vendor only

Supplemental content

KFS Menu