The UC G-28 Travel policy states the most economical mode of transportation must be used. All travel expenses must follow the IRS Accountable Plan and include supporting documentation.

Ground transportation expenses include car rental charges; private car mileage allowances; emergency repair to University vehicles; parking; tolls; taxi, bus, or train fares.

Itemized receipts are required for all car rentals, regardless of expense. Receipts are also required for each ground transportation related expense of $75 or more.


Reimbursable Mileage Rates

Travelers using their personal vehicle for University business must have required insurance as noted in the UC G-28 Travel Policy.

Travelers may be reimbursed for the use of their privately owned vehicle or aircraft on official University business. If a traveler chooses to drive when airfare is the most economical mode of transportation, only the airfare cost will be reimbursed.

The maximum allowable rates are established by the IRS. Departments have the right to establish lower limits than those established by the IRS, as long as those rates are consistently applied for all of their employees (faculty, staff, & students). 

See Mileage Reimbursement Recommendations and Best Practices for more information.


Rental Cars

Travelers on official University business have access to various UC system wide rental car contracts. Travelers are expected to use these agreements when possible. Travelers should enroll for the memberships with contracted agencies as intermediate size car upgrades are free and the annual membership fees are waived for UC employees.

If a traveler upgrades to a higher class when a compact or economy class car is suitable and available, they will only be reimbursed for the amount of a compact or economy car.

When renting a vehicle in foreign countries insurance is encouraged and allowed with University funds.

Making Reservations

Car rental reservations should be made through AggieTravel, which has the University agreement terms and conditions built in. If you prefer to make reservations by contacting the car rental companies directly:

  • identify yourself as a University traveler on University business
  • provide the vendor with the campus ID number at the time of reservation
  • make sure the UC ID number is cited on the rental contract
  • verify the rental contract includes the Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and liability insurance at no additional cost
  • do not purchase insurance unless the agreement does not include it
  • If mixing business and personal travel during the trip, a separate contract must be used for the personal portion
What to Do in the Event of an Accident

In the event of an accident while using a rental car:

  • contact the police department in the jurisdiction where the accident occurred
  • notify the rental car agency where you rented the vehicle
  • provide other involved parties with information from the rental car agreement report the incident to Risk Management Services as soon as possible


Car Rental Agreements

The UCOP provides a summary of University of California car rental agreements. These agreements include Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and liability insurance for travel within the continental United States. The agreements cover any damage sustained by the rental vehicle and provide liability coverage. This type of insurance coverage may be included for car rentals outside of the continental United States; check the agreements for details.

The agreements include surcharges that may be added to the daily rental rate for specific cities and/or on specific days. Review the Terms and Conditions to find specific agreement details. Questions on car rental agreements for travel outside the Continental U.S. and Canada should be directed to the vendor representative listed for the given agreement.


Shuttle Service

The University has an agreement with Davis Airporter for shuttle service. The agreement should be used whenever local shuttle arrangements are needed. 

How to pay

Travelers may opt for one of three payment options:

1. Traveler pays for shuttle and requests reimbursement through AggieTravel.

2. An employee may use the Travel & Entertainment Card and reconcile.

3. If the vendor sends an invoice after the trip the department can process the payment on a KFS Disbursement Voucher, TEV.


Ground Transportation in Lieu of Air Travel

If advance approval has been obtained, a traveler may use surface transportation for personal reasons even if air travel is the appropriate mode of transportation. The cost of meals and lodging, parking, mileage, tolls, taxis, and ferries incurred while in transit by surface transportation may be reimbursed. However, such costs shall not exceed the cost of airfare, based on the lower of the regular coach fare available for the location of travel from a standard commercial air carrier or the campus travel program fare, plus transportation costs to and from the terminals.


Supplemental content

Travel & Entertainment Menu