Document Storage & Shred
Distribution Services offers a storage service for your paper-based records. Boxes are stored on racks in our secure, climate controlled warehouse.
Start With a Storage Account
Each box stored is associated with a storage account. Each storage account can have many boxes - or, you can have multiple storage accounts to meet your needs. Each storage account has a default billing account associated with it, which is billed monthly.
Records must be stored in standard 12" x 10" x 15" storage boxes. (Note: storage of non-standard boxes is only available by special arrangement; additional fees may apply. Please contact us for more information.) Ensure that records are grouped appropriately, and boxes are uniquely labeled for easy identification and retrieval. No box should exceed 50 pounds in weight. For more tips, see Preparing Your Boxes.
Pick-up and Delivery
Pickup and delivery service is provided by Distribution Services staff. Simply submit your online request, and we will coordinate with you. Material is typically picked free of charge at the time your mail is exchanged. Expedited pick-up, or larger volumes, may incur an additional pick-up fee through Special Services at their published rate.
Accessing Stored Records
Boxes can be retrieved, either for delivery to your department or for viewing at the Central Storehouse (615 Hopkins Road). Keep the box(es) as long as you need, and let us know when they are ready for pick-up. If you just need short-term access, arrange to have the box waiting at our location.
Records that no longer need to be stored can be shredded, onsite, by Distribution Services staff. You can even indicate a retention date when you submit the box, and destruction will be automatic. Read more ...
For more information please contact us at (530) 752-2077 or email@example.com.
We offer the following tips in preparing your boxes for long term storage. Above all, keep in mind that you want the boxes organized so that you can request the correct box and quickly get to the information that you need, when you need it.
- Use standard record storage boxes only (12" x 10" x 15"). (Note: storage of non-standard boxes is only available by special arrangement; additional fees may apply. Please contact us for more information.)
- Limit the contents of any box to a single record series, and identical retention periods. (Example: personnel records should not be in the same box as financial records. Financial records with a 7 year retention period should not be intermixed with those requiring a 5 year retention period.)
- For your safety and ours, please do not overpack boxes. No box should exceed 50 pounds in weight.
- Each box must be labeled with, at a minimum, the box title and department name. See "Boxes and Labels" for more, including a label template.
If you are planning on storing confidential records, please review our guidelines.
- Determine the confidentiality and privacy status of all records and comply with the University's Records and Archives Policy PPM 320-10 and BUS and Finance RMP-2 Records retention and disposition.
- Ensure that university records are retained if they are currently part of, or are likely to be part of, any legal action or proceeding, litigation, audit, investigation, or review, even if the records retention schedules or other policies or procedures indicate that the records are eligible for destruction.
- Ensure that only persons with the proper authority can view the appropriate records.
There are three options for using the shredding service for destroying outdated records:
Using a Destruction Date
When you submit your boxes for storage, you have the option to indicate a destruction date. This is especially convenient for records with a specific retention requirement. When the destruction date for a specific box approaches, the account administrators will receive e-mail notification. At that time, you can choose to change the destruction date, or do nothing and allow the records to be destroyed. The records will be pulled and shredded on the destruction date. When shredding is completed, the account administrators will receive a certificate of destruction.
Destruction Request - Stored Boxes
You also have the option to request the destruction of your stored documents, at whatever point they become obsolete. As with the pre-set destruction date, when your documents have been destroyed, a certificate of destruction will be sent to the account administrators
Destruction Request - Non-stored Boxes
Even if you do not use the document storage service, you can still use our shredding service. Material is typically picked free of charge at the time your mail is exchanged. Expedited pick-up, or larger volumes, may incur an additional pick-up fee through Special Services at their published rate.
When we pick the material up we will provide you a signed chain of custody form documenting the pickup. Once we pick up all of your boxes we will shred the material and e-mail you a certificate of destruction.
The rate for shredding documents not in our storage is $0.18 per pound. To initiate a pick-up, simply complete our online form.
Storage rates are $1.28 per box per month for standard storage boxes 12" x 10" x 15". (Note: storage of non-standard boxes is only available by special arrangement; additional fees may apply. Please contact us for more information.)
Material is typically picked free of charge at the time your mail is exchanged. Expedited pick-up, or larger volumes, may incur an additional pick-up fee through Special Services at their published rate.
Copies can be made of records viewed at Central Storehouse. A self-service copier is available in the viewing area. Copies are $0.15 per page.