Accepting and Endorsing Checks
Do not accept a check that does not meet the following criteria:
- The date must be written on the check, and be within the past six months.
- The legal and written amounts have to agree.
- There must be a payee on the check.
- There must be a signature(s) on the check.
Endorsing a Check
A check must be endorsed, as follows, prior to deposit:
- The endorser must be the same as the payee on the front of the check.
- University endorsement stamps can be used for all the different university payee designations (e.g., UC Regents, University of California Regents).
- The endorsement is placed on the back upper left of the check - it is behind where the name appears and there are usually lines. This is in compliance with Federal regulations.